United Kingdom Homecare Association
The professional association for homecare providers

Translate site:
Page Font Size:
A  ->   A

Comments or Complaints about UKHCA Members

Homecare providers in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have a legal requirement to operate a complaints procedure to enable you to resolve complaints with them directly. This is often the most appropriate way to sort out complaints quickly and to prevent smaller problems from becoming larger ones.

In addition providers must also register with the statutory regulator in the country where their offices are located. The statutory regulators are:

The Statutory regulator has the ability to take enforcement action against a provider who does not comply with the law or the requirement to provide an acceptable standard of care. In Scotland the regulator also investigates complaints indicates that the preceeding link will open in a new browser window

If you have been unable to resolve your complaint you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman and ask them to assist you. The Local Government Ombudsman looks at complaints about councils and some other authorities and organisations, including adult social care providers (such as care homes and homecare providers). It is a free service. Their job is to investigate complaints in a fair and independent way.

In addition to their legal responsibilities, homecare providers who join UKHCA, also agree to abide by our Code of Practice. If the complaint is regarding a UKHCA member and the local authority complaints procedure does not apply and the local Government Ombudsman is unable to investigate, you may be entitled to use the UKHCA complaints procedure.

UKHCA use an independent advisor to help resolve complaints about our members. In the first instance you should contact our helpline for more information.